We may say this ateveryturn around the sun, but we stand firmly in the belief that 2022 was an epic year for celebrity style. On the one hand, things gotextra nostalgic with looks that turned the clocks back to the early 2000s, while on the other hand, "weird" trends emerged from seemingly out of nowhere.
It was the year that Julia Fox (and her dramatic cat-eyes) became a household name. It was also the yearof celebrity outfits becoming memes of their own right (looking at you, Miss Flo), and it marks the complete overhaul of pregnancy dressing thanks to none other than Rihanna. We also sawnewer faces like Sydney Sweeney and Taylor Russell slice away at their share of the zeitgeistwith a spate of dazzling looksthat flex therelationships they've forged with Miu Miu and Schiaparelli, respectively.
Of course, how could we forgetKim Kardashian wearing Marilyn Monroe's dress to the Met Gala or Meghan Markle's grand return to London? Before we dive into the New Year, we thought we'd takestock of the year in fashion, socontinue on to see the looks we're crowning the best celebrity outfits of 2022. One thing is clear:2023 will have some big sartorial shoes to fill.
WHAT:The 2022 Met Gala
WEAR:Jean Louis dress
We couldn't believe it until we saw it, but the rumors that Kim Kardashian would wear Marilyn Monroe's historic naked dress to this year's American-fashion-themedMet Gala turned out to be true. Kardashian pulled the crystal-embellished number out of the archives, which Monroe wore toPresident John F. Kennedy's 45th birthday party in 1962 where she famously sang "Happy Birthday, Mr. President."
WHAT:Dinner at Giorgio Baldi in Los Angeles
WEAR:Miu Miu set; Balenciaga bag; Christian Louboutin heels
I'm convinced that Rihanna rewrote the rules of pregnancy dressing in a single outfit. While her maternity stylewasanything but boring, this particularlook cemented the star's ability to change the fashion game. Heading to dinner in L.A., she stepped out in a crystal netted skirt set straight from Miu Miu's fall 2022 runway, complete with a blue satin lingerie set peeking out from underneath. The skirt set hadn't left my mind since I first saw its runway debut, but once Rihanna wore it IRL, it was officially burned into my memory (in the best way).
WHO: Meghan Markle
WHAT:Queen Elizabeth II's Platinum Jubilee in London
The queen's Platinum Jubilee marked the first time that Meghan Markle returned to London since making her new home in California, so it was a noteworthy occasion for more than one reason. Markle delighted us with her impeccably tailored ensemble for the event, which consisted of a belted A-line coat, classic pumps, and gloves in a coordinating ivory hue.
WHAT:The 2022 Academy Awards
WEAR:Valentino top and skirt
Just another day being Hollywood's best dressed celebrity, I guess. For the Oscar's this year, Zendaya eschewed a traditional gown forsomething much more unexpected. She paired a cropped button-down shirt—one of the last items we'd expect to end up on a red carpet—with a sequined floor-sweeping skirt. The star can pull off just about anything, and this look was no exception. 10/10. No notes.
WHAT:Attending thepremiere of Batman
WEAR: CustomOscar de la Renta
Even when she's wearing a custom designer gown on the red carpet, Zoë Kravitz always manages to maintain a certain air about her that's classic, minimalist, and utterly cool. For the premiere of this year'sBatman, Kravitz translated that cool-girl aura into a very Catwoman-approved look involving a strapless plunging gown with cat-shaped cutouts at the bust.
WHAT: Euphoria season twophoto call
WEAR: CustomMiu Miu skirt and top
When the star stepped out in this custom Miu Miu skirt set, it reverberated throughout the entire internet.Sweeneystyled the low-rise look in the most elegant way possible, marryingopera gloves with an embellished floor-length skirt and matching strapless top. It's fitting that she wore thisto a photo call for the second season of Euphoriabecause her character on the show this season very much becomes a main character.
WHAT:Attending theMichael Kors show in NYC
Sixteenyearshave passed since fan-favoriteThe Devil Wears Pradawas released, yet Anne Hathaway's homage to her character, Andy Sachs, is so spot-on that you'd think the movie aired yesterday. While attending the Michael Kors show during fashion week in September, Hathaway re-created the iconic "revenge" look in the 2006rom-com (which was also by Michael Kors) and had our heads spinning.
WHAT:Wmagazine's 50th anniversary party
WEAR:Tory Burch dress; Fleur du Mal lingerie set
Emily Ratajkowski wore a complete sheer mesh dress, igniting her "revenge" era. The model'sTory Burch number also happens to be a major 2023 trend involving sheer and shimmery fabrics, making Ratajkowski's choiceboth daring andof-the-moment.
WHAT:Attending theValentino Haute Couture show
WEAR:Valentino dress, shoes, and bag
Amid all the rumors swirling this summer,Don't Worry Darlingstar Florence Pugh proved just how unbothered she was by the drama while attending the Valentino haute couture show in Paris. Pugh stunned in a frothy concoction of tulle in the brand's proprietary shade of fuchsia, Pink PP.
WHAT: Thepremiere ofBones and Allduring the 66th BFILondonFilm Festival
WEAR: Schiaparelli haute couture
Ladies and gentlemen, her. While in her press tour promoting her starring role in Bones and All, actress Taylor Russell swept the internet with a series of showstopping red carpet looks, each one moreexciting than the last. Yet it was thisone with the exaggerated corset shape and striking tailored jacketthatwaseasily the star's most memorable among them. With a sure-to-be-hit film and a recently inked deal with Loewe asits first U.S. brand ambassador, Russell has It-girl potential like no other.
WHAT:Attending thewedding of designer Simon Porte Jacquemus in Provence
WEAR:Jacquemus dress and bag
Dua Lipa broke nearly every rule of wedding guest attirethere is, yetthe sheer white dress that she wore to celebrated designerSimon Porte Jacquemus's South of France nuptials was nothing short of perfection. Jaws dropped at first, but upon closer inspection, it appears that all of the guests were instructed to wear white, and Lipa herself was dressed by the designer.
WHAT:Attending the Kenzo runway show during Paris Fashion Week
WEAR: Schiaparelli jacket;Carhartt jeans
No onecouldescape the Julia Fox influence this year. TheUncut Gems star made headlines while attendingParis Haute Couture Fashion Week this past January in more than one controversial trend (low-rise jeans, heavy black eyeliner, and boot-pants, to name a few), which have since become her style signatures.
WHO: Blake Lively
WHAT:The 2022 Met Gala
WEAR:Atelier Versace gown; Christian Louboutin shoes; Lorraine Schwartz jewelry
Blake Livelyknows how to make an entrance, and this year's Met Gala was no exception. The gala co-chair transformed her look right in front of our eyes whenthe bow on her skirt was untied, revealing a blue under-layer. She then removed her rose-colored gloves to reveal a matching blue pair underneath. The colorswap was meant to symbolize the patina of the Statue of Liberty. Beyond that, the intricate beading of her gown was inspired by the architecture of the Empire State Building and fittingly so with this year's theme of Gilded Glamour.
WHO: Bella Hadid
WHAT:Out in NYC
WEAR:Opening CeremonyBonded Western Jacket($502); UggClassic Ultra Mini Platform($150)
Leave it to Bella Hadid to singlehandedly influence a flock of TikTok users to go outside in what is essentially underwear and Ugg boots.The supermodel styledthe brand's buzzy new platformminiboots with scrunched-down socks and, yes, a pair ofshort shorts. Shefinished it all off withanother fall micro-trend, a racing jacket, and ina matter of seconds sent the whole internet spinning.
Classic Ultra Mini Platform
WHAT:The 2022 Billboard Music Awards
WEAR: Schiaparellihaute couture
Celebs usually bring out their top-tier looks for award shows like the Grammys and Oscars, but Doja Cat swept the carpet at this year'sBillboard Music Awards, where she was—I'll just say—easilythe best dressed attendee. Her futuristic Schiaparelli ensemble was a nod to the recording artist's award-winning albumPlanet Herand was complete with dramaticdarting curves and a gold-brushedSaturn-shapedbag.
WHAT:Attending the Khaite show in NYC
WEAR:Aimé Leon Dore x New Balance550 Sneakers($416); Khaite jacket; Levi's jeans
Sometimes the genius of a fashion moment lies in its simplicity, and Laura Harrier is teaching a masterclass with this look. While attending the Khaite spring 2023 show during NYFW, the actresspaired a leather flight jacket from the brand with relaxed jeans and sneakers and finished it off with a belt. She's not reinventing the wheel here, yet it's an approachable look our editors all raced to re-create.
WHAT:The premiere ofBones and All during the Venice Film Festival
WEAR:Haider Ackermann top, pants, and shoes
It wouldn't be an end-of-year retrospective if we didn't give a shout-out to our favorite stylish guy, Timothée Chalamet. Hardly shy to a fashion risk, he really turned up the heat when he stepped onto the red carpet in a fiery halter top and matching suit trousers.Fans both loved and hated it, butwe're just over here hoping this look ushers in a new era of male celebrities getting more experimental with their style.
Up next, see which2023 trends celebrities are already wearing now.
Insights, advice, suggestions, feedback and comments from experts
As an expert and enthusiast, I have personal experiences or opinions, but I can provide you with information on the concepts mentioned in this article. Here's some information related to the various concepts used in the article:
Kim Kardashian at the 2022 Met Gala
- Kim Kardashian wore Marilyn Monroe's historic naked dress to the 2022 Met Gala, which had an American-fashion theme [].
- The dress was a Jean Louis creation that Marilyn Monroe famously wore to President John F. Kennedy's 45th birthday party in 1962 [].
Rihanna's pregnancy style
- Rihanna made a statement with her pregnancy style, redefining the rules of maternity dressing.
- She wore a crystal netted skirt set from Miu Miu's fall 2022 runway, paired with a blue satin lingerie set [].
Meghan Markle's return to London
- Meghan Markle returned to London for Queen Elizabeth II's Platinum Jubilee.
- She wore an impeccably tailored ensemble consisting of a belted A-line coat, classic pumps, and gloves in a coordinating ivory hue [].
Zendaya at the 2022 Academy Awards
- Zendaya opted for a unique look at the 2022 Academy Awards, wearing a cropped button-down shirt paired with a sequined floor-sweeping skirt [].
Zoë Kravitz at the premiere of Batman
- Zoë Kravitz attended the premiere of Batman wearing a custom Oscar de la Renta gown.
- The strapless plunging gown featured cat-shaped cutouts at the bust, reflecting her character's role as Catwoman [].
Sydney Sweeney at the Euphoria season two photo call
- Sydney Sweeney made a statement at the Euphoria season two photo call with a custom Miu Miu skirt set.
- The low-rise look featured opera gloves, an embellished floor-length skirt, and a matching strapless top [].
Anne Hathaway at the Michael Kors show in NYC
- Anne Hathaway paid homage to her character, Andy Sachs, from The Devil Wears Prada at the Michael Kors show during fashion week.
- She recreated the iconic "revenge" look from the movie, wearing a Croc Texture Faux Leather Shirt Jacket [].
Emily Ratajkowski at W magazine's 50th anniversary party
- Emily Ratajkowski wore a sheer mesh dress by Tory Burch to W magazine's 50th anniversary party.
- Her dress reflected a major 2023 trend involving sheer and shimmery fabrics [].
Florence Pugh at the Valentino Haute Couture show
- Florence Pugh attended the Valentino Haute Couture show in a frothy tulle gown in the brand's proprietary shade of fuchsia [].
Taylor Russell at the premiere of Bones and All
- Taylor Russell made a memorable appearance at the premiere of Bones and All during the 66th BFI London Film Festival.
- She wore a Schiaparelli haute couture ensemble with an exaggerated corset shape and a striking tailored jacket [].
Dua Lipa at the wedding of designer Simon Porte Jacquemus
- Dua Lipa attended the wedding of designer Simon Porte Jacquemus in Provence wearing a sheer white dress by Jacquemus [].
Julia Fox at the Kenzo runway show during Paris Fashion Week
- Julia Fox made headlines at the Kenzo runway show during Paris Fashion Week with her unique style.
- She wore a Schiaparelli jacket and Carhartt jeans, showcasing her signature style [].
Blake Lively at the 2022 Met Gala
- Blake Lively made a statement at the 2022 Met Gala with her transformative look.
- Her Atelier Versace gown featured a bow on the skirt that, when untied, revealed a blue under-layer [].
Bella Hadid out in NYC
- Bella Hadid influenced a trend of wearing underwear and Ugg boots with her outfit in NYC.
- She paired the Ugg Classic Ultra Mini Platform boots with scrunched-down socks and short shorts [].
Doja Cat at the 2022 Billboard Music Awards
- Doja Cat stood out at the 2022 Billboard Music Awards with her futuristic Schiaparelli haute couture ensemble.
- The outfit was a nod to her award-winning album "Planet Her" and featured dramatic darting curves and a gold-brushed Saturn-shaped bag [].
Laura Harrier attending the Khaite show in NYC
- Laura Harrier showcased a simple yet stylish look while attending the Khaite show during NYFW.
- She paired a leather flight jacket from Khaite with relaxed jeans, sneakers, and a belt [].
Timothée Chalamet at the premiere of Bones and All
- Timothée Chalamet made a fashion statement at the premiere of Bones and All during the Venice Film Festival.
- He wore a fiery halter top and matching suit trousers by Haider Ackermann [].
Please note that the information provided above is based on search results and snippets.